Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Nostalgic Mood Swing

Posted by Alienfloyd

I often get the urge to take a stroll down the pristine memory lane, what better to do so than with REM. This song reminds me of Dunkin Donuts and delivering papers with my Mom in Sun City to real old snowbirds. Nothing like coming off a date or dance or whatever on a Saturday night and jumping in the Blue Vanagan and heading to the drop off point. We would fold for a couple of hours and head out to the crispy clean trailer parks void of children and vibrant life. The ever awake venerable citizenry of Sun City anxiously awaiting the Sunday Paper in a time before the internet and the Drudge Report. We tried to avoid the multitude of lawn jockeys , pink flamingos, and pre-dwarf era lawn swag. I remember the occasion jokes and laughter, I remember the stultifying mundacity irritating each other. I can taste the brackish ink the blackness smearing on my sweaty skin and clothes. Rubber band this, bag the add filled bombshell, let it fly ---adrenaline rushing when we would hit something or make a loud whhaaack at 4:00 am. It was a unique time in the life of a 18 year old senior balancing school, church, a raging social life and occasionally family. The album was Eponymous, the band REM, the Van VW, the Donuts -awesome. The air not really cold.

3 comments:

Deanie said...

I remember also. Ya, know that was only for 6 months, but it felt like at least 2 years. That was a unique experience. We all have our own take on it. I remember on Sundays getting home after the sun was up and then getting all of us ready and going to church. I would feel so sick and numb. Teaching primary, don't know if I ever made any sense. You forgot the bunnie rabbits. We took Lin once or twice just so she could see them.

Unknown said...

I am always entertained by your recollections, ramblings, and nostalgia. :D

Lindsey said...

..barely do I recall these events..only being no more than 4. I can only see white bunnies hopping on the lawns. I can see Dad driving and nothing else.
cool relection!

Oh funny I just read Mom's comment. ha.